Prayer plays such an important role in the lives of those with faith. Prayer is something that all of us are encouraged to do and yet so many of us do not know how we are to pray effectively according to the Word of God.
Today, we will look deeper into the biblical meaning of prayer. We will explore the tools that are given to us in the Word of God to make our prayers more fruitful.
Understanding is the key.
Continue STEADFASTLY in PRAYER, being watchful in it with THANKSGIVING
What Does the Bible Say About Prayer?
- Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. (Philippians 4:6 KJV)
- Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. (Mark 11:24 KJV)
- Pray without ceasing. (1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV)
- Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (Romans 8:26 KJV)
- And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. (James 5:15 KJV)
What Does Prayer Mean?
Greek Meaning for Prayer
- Ask for earnestly and humbly with sincere conviction
- Show deep respect and adoration for God
- Address a request to God
- Express a strong desire or hope for something
- Strong’s Concordance Reference 4314 &2172
Hebrew Meaning for Prayer
- Ask earnestly or anxiously with sincere and intense conviction.
- Burn incense in worship
- Request to be heard
- Intervene on the behalf of another
- Strong’s Concordance Reference 6281, 6419 & 8605
- Is Emotional
- Is Glorifying God
- Is Sincere With Deep Respect
- Is Worship
- Is Praise
Some Reasons Why Are Prayers Not Answered
- Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. (James 4:3 KJV)
- But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. (James 1:6 KJV)
- If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: (Psalms 66:18 KJV)
- And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. (Isaiah 1:15-17 KJV)
God gives us the perfect example of praying. Verse’s 5-8 are instructions in what to do and 9-13 are instructions in what to say.
5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
7 “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, forthey think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them,for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Pray then LIKE this (in other words, here is your guide)
The Lord’s Prayer In Point Form (DIY Prayer)
- Glorify God
- Pray & Support God’s will to come to pass
- Pray for the needs of others and ourselves
- Acknowledge the need to forgive. Seek your heart and see if you have done this.
- Ask for protection & rescue from walking in the ways which are anti-christ (Against Christ)
- God is the only truth and power and glory
- Eternally, without end
If you look at the Lord’s Prayer closely you will see that in effective prayer, there is more mention of us giving to God than us requesting from him. It is about 70% of the prayer is lifting God up and focusing on him. 30% of this prayer is dedicated to requests for needs.
WHEN YOU PRAY TO GOD, DO YOU GIVE HIM THAT 70%
2 Chronicles 7:14
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.