When people say things about you that are NOT TRUE, it can hurt deeply. People talking negatively about you can have an adverse affect on your self worth and also your spiritual progression. Even if it only a couple of people who you know that are doing this to you, it can leave you feeling unprotected and vulnerable. These few people can have a devastating impact on your value as a person both naturally and in spiritually in Christ.
That Is….. Only if You Are Not Prepared For the Confrontation
I have experienced my fair share of slander in my time. I have felt the isolation and fear as a pack of wolves surrounded me, growling and showing their teeth. In the past, I have become fearful for my very survival. But then God showed me what I was lacking.
“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
The Action of Making a False Spoken Statement Damaging to a Person’s Reputation
People Will Slander You for Varying Reasons:
- Fear – They are anxious or feel threatened because of a situation concerning you
- Anger – They are outraged, resentful or hold a grudge because of an action concerning you
- Hatred – They are bitter because of a situation concerning you
- Pride – They have deep satisfaction and pleasure of their knowledge, associations or achievements
As I go through the Book of Mark with you today, I notice that for most part, people were in awe of Christ. They received His instructions, healing, ministry, direction in love and admiration for Him. The positive response to Christ was far greater than the negative. It was only a minority of people out of the many who created trouble for Christ. But this minority had a lot of power. He had a choice at these times. A choice to either let the wolves stop him in His tracks or not. He could have allowed himself to be intimidated, but He didn’t. How did he do this? He was human too?
THE BOOK OF MARK
Jesus was Slandered By The Following People:
- 2:16 – Scribes and the Pharisees – They questioned why He was eating with sinners – Anger, Hatred & Fear
- 2:24 – Pharisees – Jesus was picking food on the Sabbath – Pride & Anger
- 3:1-6 – Pharisees – Jesus Healed on The Sabbath – Pride, Anger, Hatred
- 3:21 – Close Personal Friends as Family – They Said He’d Gone Mad – Fear & Hatred
- 3:22 – Scribes – They Said That He Was Possessed – Fear & Hatred
- 6:3-6 – People in His Own Town – They were Discounting His Ministry – Anger
- 7:1-5 – Scribes and Pharisees – Jesus and His Followers Did Follow Religious Customs – Anger, Pride
- 8:11-12 – Pharisees – Demanded a Sign – Anger, Hatred & Pride
- 10:2 – Pharisees – Testing Jesus on Marriage Principles – Hatred, Pride
- 11:18 – Chief Priests & Scribes – Angry That Jesus Had Influence – Anger, Fear, Hatred & Pride
- 11:27-33 – Chief Priests, Scribes and Elders – By What authority Does Jesus Do What He Does – Anger, Fear & Pride
- 12:12 – Chief Priests, Scribes and Elders – Wanted to Arrest Jesus – Fear & Anger
- 12:13-17 – Pharisees and Herodians – Tried to Entrap Jesus With Discussions on Taxes – Anger & Pride
- 12:18-27 – Sadducees – Testing Jesus on Resurrection – Fear, Anger & Pride
- 14:1-2 – Chief Priests and Scribes – Seeking to Arrest Jesus – Fear & Anger
- 14:10-11 – Chief Priests – Enlisted Judas – Anger, Hatred & Pride
- 14:43-46 – Judas, Chief Priests, Scribes & Elders – Jesus is Arrested – Hatred, Anger, Pride
- 14:53-65 – High Priest, Chief Priests, Elders & Scribes – Jesus is Put on Trial – Hatred, Anger, Pride
- 15:1-15 – Chief Priests, Elders, Scribes and The Council – Take Jesus to Pilate (A High Ranking Official of The Roman Empire) – Hatred, Anger & Pride
- 15:16-30 – Roman Soldiers – Mocked Christ – Hatred, Anger & Pride
- 15:31-32 – Chief Priests and Scribes – Mocked Christ – Hatred, Anger & Pride
Please note: That all of the people who slandered Jesus were part of a group. Never is it one person it is always more than that. Pack mentality. It starts off as one dog howling and it gets the attention of the other dogs. Then they as a group encircle you, because there is safety in numbers.
Jesus did not ignore or fear the situations as they arose. He addressed them with truth and strength.
HE WAS WEARING
THE ARMOUR OF GOD
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
- Belt of Truth – Will Protect Your Mobility
- Breastplate of God’s Righteousness – Will Protect Your Heart
- Shoes In Readiness (Be Prepared) – Will Protect you From Traps and Snares
- Shield of Faith – Will Protect your Body From Doubt & Lies
- Helmet of Salvation – Will Protect your Mind From Doubt and Lies
- Sword of the Spirit – Will Protect Your Soul. WORD OF GOD!!
- Pray at All Times
- Stay Alert
Be Encouraged. Focus on your relationship with God and The Wolves Wont Bother You. They Might Still Circle Around You, But Your Eyes Will Be On God and Not the Situation.
God is the Judge and and Jury. Everything we and everyone else says and does is recorded and we will be held accountable. This is a good time to look at ourselves and see if we are in need of repentance ourselves for such behaviors.
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,